Over the past couple of years, there has been quite an interest in pink Himalayan rock salt. There are numerous recipes that advise using it instead of traditional white salt, which can be deemed unhealthy if too much is used. Or in bathing to aid aches and pains as well as in the form of electric lights and tealight candle holders, there definitely has been an increase in the use of this therapeutic mineral. So what exactly are the benefits and what actually is it?
The salt derives from the Punjab region of Pakistan at the foot of the Himalayas. It is said that it is one of the purest forms of salt available which is why it boasts many health benefits. It contains 98% sodium chloride the rest is made up from potassium, magnesium and calcium which give the salt the pink tint. These additional minerals also explain which the taste differs to that of table salt. Traditional table salt often contains anti-caking agents to prevent it clumping, and bleaching agents to enhance the white colour, Himalayan salt does not.
The benefits of Himalayan Salt Crystals (used in bathing/as a body scrub):
• Stimulates circulation
• Detoxifies & hydrates the skin
• Increases moisture retention
• Helps to heal dry, irritated skin and can help to promote cellular regeneration
• Helps to reduce inflammation of the muscles and joints, relaxes muscles and can, therefore, help to relieve pain and soreness
• Reduces stress and promotes a better night’s sleep
The benefits of Himalayan Salt Candle Holders:
• Cleanse the air
• Reduce allergy and asthma symptoms
• Ease coughing
• Increase energy levels
• Neutralise Electromagnetic Radiation
• Better sleep
• Improve mood and concentration
• Reduce static electricity in the air
• Calming to watch
The benefits for use in food/cooking:
• Improves the absorption of nutrients from foods
• Provides circulatory support
• Promotes kidney and gallbladder health in comparison to chemically treated table salt
• Encouraging healthy blood sugar levels
• Reduces cramping (eg. leg cramps)
Pink Himalayan Salt has many benefits for our health whether it is used in cooking, bathing or as a lamp around the home. It is becoming more readily available both in the supermarkets and online. There are a wide range of lamps available whether they are the electric versions, the small rounded candle holders or the more uniquely handmade candle holders in a variety of interesting shapes. They all give off a comforting, relax inducing glow, in particular, the candle holders as there is also the benefit of the flickering candlelight which can give an amazing effect through the pink salt. Whether you have heard of it but never given used it or been slightly dubious about the benefits, just give it a try – you never know you might just enjoy it!
Written by Emma Rowley
Connect with Emma on Facebook: www.facebook.com/energisedsoul
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.