Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to do Janu Sirsasana A or Head-to-knee pose, including some of the benefits and things to avoid.
- Starting in a seated position, extend both legs out in front of you
- Sitting tall, head over your heart, heart over pelvis
- Ground the right leg into the mat, right toes pointing yo to the ceiling
- Bring the sole of the left foot on the inside off your right thigh, left knee falls out to the side
- Engage your core, pulling your navel to your spine
- Inhale both arms over your head, exhale folded over your right leg, ensuring that your back is straight
- Fold over as much as it feels comfortable for you and then release your hands on your leg or the mat, anywhere as long as it feels comfortable
- Stay here for 5-10 breaths then extend your left leg out and repeat on the other side
Tips on how to do it:
- Close your eyes and feel yourself into the pose
- If you want to go deeper into the pose, fold over a little bit more on every exhale
- Keep your back straight
Things to avoid:
- Shoulders by your ears
- Calms the brain and helps relieve mild depression
- Relieves anxiety, fatigue, headache, menstrual discomfort
- Improves digestion
- Stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings and groin
Head over to my YouTube channel for the instructional video on how to do Janu Sirsasana A. Whilst you are there, why not subscribe to my channel and never miss a video? You can also find the video on my website here.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.